After a gap of about 12 years, I get to brush my theatrical skills through my online theatre classes and in-person workshop facilitations. I can't help but question certain fundamental principles of thinking that some "theatrical professionals" around me have come to exercise. Needless to say, theatre has adapted to the changing times; and rightfully so, because theatre is meant to make you not just question the obvious but also accept the unconventional nature of individual thinking and societal norms. This brings us to a basic question - How much is too much when you are dealing with unconventionality of a situation or of a human experience?
It is safe to say that Theatre-making is an ancient wisdom that became popular more for its unconventional ways of bringing about social messages and reforms - a peaceful, impactful, respectful process at that. Sometimes, I keep wondering if in an attempt to stay unconventional it has crossed over to being unconventionally conventional. Theatre should make one open-minded, non-judgemental and respectful of opposing opinions. But I seldom see that in people calling themselves "Theatre-Trained". There are few - but few and far between. There is a need to accept that nobody, no government, no institution is 100% right or 100% wrong. Why is this becoming so hard to accept for people. Why are we being so polarised? It has come to my notice that the mindset to subscribe to Convenience is the new normal - choosing a narrative that is convenient to make, when it comes to ones own life. Is Convenience the new Unconventional? I will never know.
The more I read about theatre and its applications, the more I realise that it is a significant tool in cognitive learning and lateral thinking. A tool that should be used as early as the curriculums of high schools and colleges. Choosing Theatre, unlike the popular belief, doesn't mean you have to be ok with low income. You can be good at what you do and be compensated for what your skill is worth. Psychodrama in the field of therapy is the new way of looking at healing thought processes that are complex and traumatic in nature. It involves a systematic break down and analysis of a patient's issues in safe and secure environment. Role play is one such powerful technique in psychodrama that is impactful and long-lasting at the same time.
I hope every individual gets to use Applied Theatre in their daily life. Through the changing times I wish theatre gets to stay true to its roots; unconventional as it used to be; reformative for the greater good. More theatre, better life!

No comments:
Post a Comment